The RSPCA is working with the RSPB, Police and DEFRA to investigate the poisoning of a Peregrine Falcon in Kirbymoorside,
The bird was found by a local farmer, panting and unable to stand up, both early symptoms of poisoning. A local volunteer from the charity Raptor Rescue rushed to the scene, but the bird died shortly afterwards.
Jean Thorpe from Raptor Rescue explained: “I managed to get it home but there was no hope for it. It became very tense and stiff before the end. Poisoning causes huge amounts of suffering.” A post-mortem found the bird to be in a good condition, with no injuries, prompting the RSPCA to urge DEFRA to send off samples for testing.
The Government’s Central Science Laboratory has now confirmed that the bird had eaten something doused with carbofuran, an agricultural pesticide banned in the
“This pesticide was banned for a reason, and to use it is an offence which can result in an unlimited fine. Causing the death of a Schedule 1 protected bird could result in a prison sentence of up to six months and/or a fine of up to £5,000.”
The RSPCA is concerned this may not be the only bird to have been affected. Anyone who knows anything should call 0870 5555 999.